Where community and environmental literacy come together:
Relax. Sit down. Enjoy. Connect.

September 30, 2008

Donut Falls

This weekend I wanted to get out and enjoy the fall colors. Being fairly new to Salt Lake, I don't know many of the trails and secret hiking spots (I know Cache Valley like the back of my hand!). I wanted a fairly short hike for a Sunday afternoon, and also wanted to start familiarizing myself with hikes I can take my step kids on.

Donut Falls seemed like the perfect option. The hike starts out about 9 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon across from the Mill D Trailhead. It is about 3/4 miles each way. A bit steep in some places, but not too bad. I saw people of all ages and sizes on the trail. The trail ends at a beautiful waterfall cascading through a hole in the rock, hence Donut Falls.

This would be a great hike to take kids or older folks. Get out an enjoy Utah!


Do you have any kid friendly hikes to recommend?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love Donut Falls! Another great hike that's pretty easy for kids is the Lake Solitude trail off of Silver Lake, also in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It's just 1 1/4 miles long one-way and only climbs about 750 feet. It's THE best golden aspen viewing on foot, in my opinion. My husband and I just hiked it last weekend for his birthday and it was beautimous!