Where community and environmental literacy come together:
Relax. Sit down. Enjoy. Connect.

March 3, 2009

Community Food Co-Op

My favorite day of every month is known quite affectionately as Distribution Day. I am a member of the Community Food Co-Op of Utah and on the last Saturday of the month I walk to my local distribution center (about 2 or 3 blocks from my home) and pick up a wonderful array of food. On these special Saturdays I can expect to pick up a healthy assortment of fresh fruits and veggies along with some grains, too. Through the power of cooperative purchasing and volunteer power, all of this food is very affordable (usually $5-10 below retail).

I have been ordering food from my local Co-Op for almost three years now, and though I love the fresh vegetables and fruits that I receive every month, the main reason I order from them is the affordability and community aspects the Co-Op provides. However, last summer I participated in USEE's Menu for the Future discussion course and learned all about healthy food choices.

In one of the chapters of Menu for the Future, we learned not only about the importance of healthy nutrition, but also about how additives and processed foods can effect your health so negatively. High fructose corn syrup is ubiquitous and is even in things you might not expect (unless you're paying attention) from yogurt to whole wheat bread, from ketchup to fruit juice. One sure way to avoid high fructose corn syrup is to eat fewer processed foods, and I do this by being involved with the Co-Op. The Co-Op provides a bounty of food for relatively little cost and the monthly supply is a parade of balanced fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and meat.

The Co-op is for anybody and everybody. The catch? Each month you must volunteer 2 hours of your time. These 2 hours can be spent volunteering anywhere, be it at the Co-Op, your friendly USEE, or any organization that you are passionate about. It just has to be 2 hours of your time volunteered for a cause or group of people other than the members of your family and for these 2 hours you can purchase this wonderful food well below retail value.

One of my favorite things about the Co-Op is that I don't just get apples, oranges, and bananas every month. I get different things, depending on the season. Tomatoes, corn, squash, and peaches come in the late summer and fall from local growers. This month I received artichokes, which proved to be an exciting adventure as I have never even thought of buying and cooking an entire artichoke. (Which is delicious, by the way.) Sometimes we even get eggplant. Participating in the Co-Op has definitely expanded my taste buds' appetite and cooking abilities over the years.

If you live in Utah, the Co-Op has team sites all over the Wasatch Front where you can pick up your orders. So, if you want to purchase a healthy balance of foods for the next month (and embark upon a peregrination of the palate), I suggest you print out an order form, find a pick-up near you, and enjoy!

If you don't live along the Wasatch Front in Utah, I would encourage you to find an organization in your area that provides similar services. Or another option could be participating in a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). Right now is the time to join CSA's as they are starting to plan (and plant) their crops for the growing season and often wont accept orders after March or April. Either of these options are great ways to be involved in your community, maintain balanced nutrition by eating fresh produce, and to save a little money on your grocery bill.

Credits:

No comments: