Where community and environmental literacy come together:
Relax. Sit down. Enjoy. Connect.

September 10, 2009

Zucchini Insights

Even though it is September and the height of the Zucchini season has passed, I still feel inspired to write about these delicious and diverse vegetables.

I heard somewhere the other day about "Zucchini Day," or otherwise known as "Sneak Some Zucchini on to your Neighbor's Porch Day," which I think was aptly named. The holiday is celebrated by stealthily disposing of excess zucchini and summer squash by leaving them in neighborhood yards, cars, and porches. (Check out some fun ways to do so here.) Unfortunately I missed this summer harvest holiday, on August 8, but I will look forward to it for next year.

As I was looking up information about Zucchini Day, I also came across the National Zucchini Bread Day. I checked it out and was surprised to discover that this holiday is on April 23. Why isn't it in August? I don't know about you, but unless you have shredded and frozen vast amounts of zucchini, I think zucchini bread isn't exactly on your mind in April - or is it? Maybe by the time April rolls around, the urge for some tasty zucchini bread is prevalent six months after the creative and frantic vending of zucchini and summer squash.

Finding out about "Sneak Some Zucchini on to your Neighbor's Porch Day" and "National Zucchini Bread Day" was inspired by a chat with my mom the other day. She mentioned that she had to go to the store to buy some zucchini in order to make a zucchini cake that she wanted to try...This made me feel terrible: I have so much zucchini I don't even know what to do with it all! I've been making (or eating other people's stuff as they try to use their zucchini as well) zucchini cake, chocolate chip zucchini cookies, zucchini bread, feta and zucchini pancakes, sauteed, raw, grilled, and even pasta made out of zucchini. I have four giant freezer bags full of shredded zucchini in my freezer to use this winter - And here is my mother, buying zucchini at the store. Guess I need to remember to bring some over next time I stop by for dinner.

Photo Credit

No comments: