Caring for Your Poinsettia
-by Maggie Shao, Extension Horticulture Agent
To care for your poinsettia, remember that these plants are grown in high relative humidity and high light intensity. The plants do well when you can try to match these conditions. Tips for poinsettia care:
- Place the plant in a location where it will have the most available sunlight.
- Keep the room temperature between 65-70 degrees during the day.
- Remove foil wrap around pot when watering to prevent roots from sitting in water. Keep plants well watered, but not continually wet.
- Grouping plants together on a pebble tray will help raise humidity around the plants themselves.
- Avoid placing plants near doors or heating vents, as extremes of hot and cold will cause leaf drop.