Where community and environmental literacy come together:
Relax. Sit down. Enjoy. Connect.

December 16, 2009

Christmas Tree Debate

Yesterday, Linda Kervin from the Bridgerland Audubon Society on Wild About Utah "re-purposes" her Christmas tree for the birds in her yard. This got me to thinking about one of the posts that Andree' put up last year about the infamous Christmas Tree Debate.

Real or fake? What are the benefits of each? The cons? What is the environmental impact? I think it would probably be safe to argue that the best bet is to simply do with out the tree, rather than worry about the transportation of the live trees down from Canada, or the chemicals used in the fake trees, and the degradation of both in the landfills. But traditions die hard.

In my own family, we have a fake tree. We have had this tree for probably 15 years or so, or at least as long as when we moved into the house my parents own. The Christmas tree debate doesn't really happen in our house any more because we got the tree before it was "cool to be green" and now that we have it, there's no reason to not use it. I also have a small fake tree that I found in my parent's garage. I have no idea where it came from, but I've used it every year since I moved out.

My Family's Tree
Photo Credit: Cath Edvalson

The debate continues in sustainability circles, but if your traditions die hard on this matter, I encourage you to read Andree's post from last year, and to think about providing a safe haven for your local bird populations as Linda does if you do get a real tree.

No comments: