This year's theme is "Ocean Connections." Though Utah may not border any ocean, these large bodies of water affect the planet, and us, spectacularly. For instance, oceans generate most of the oxygen (about 70% total) on the planet. Oceans are helping us all to breathe. We also affect oceans, for about 80% of all plastic in the oceans comes from trash that has been washed from land into the sea. This plastic accumulates in oceanic gyres, where currents come together and collide; the largest plastic "oceanfill," aka the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch," is twice the size of Texas.
According to the National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), the group that runs this event, "When you register for EE Week, you will join a national network of educators dedicated to increasing the environmental literacy of K-12 students. You will also receive:
- Certificates of Participation;
- Monthly e-newsletters packed with EE resources and opportunities for educators;
- Access to an online library of environmental curricula and resources;
- An opportunity to participate in EE Week's webinars for educators; and
- Discounts and special offers on educational materials."
throughout the country.
Below, you'll see some of the suggestions NEEF has provided in order to participate this week. Jump on in; the water's fine!