Where community and environmental literacy come together:
Relax. Sit down. Enjoy. Connect.

August 17, 2011

Cool New Hiking app from National Geographic

Are you an avid hiker? Do you have an iphone or ipad? If so bring your love of hiking and gadgets together with this cool new app from National Geographic. It's called Trail Maps, and though it doesn't actually provide maps of popular hiking trails, it does give you loads of USGS topographical maps. Everything from the middle-of-nowhere back country to your local urban jungle can be found on a topo map with this app. And don't worry about having access to the internet; the app allows you to download any map you need. You also have a digital compass, the ability to set waypoints, and speed and time calculations to determine when you'll arrive.
For me personally I can see this app being really useful and just plain fun. For instance say I'm romping around the mountains for a day or two, and one one particular stretch I'd like to know how long it will take us to get to that ridge over there. I just type in some calculations and I have an estimate. If I can't make it before dark then I set up camp somewhere else.
Here at usee we are all about the outdoors. This app takes the outdoors and puts a technological spin on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought of some cool educational applications either. So make your way to the app store and check it out!

No comments: