Where community and environmental literacy come together:
Relax. Sit down. Enjoy. Connect.

July 11, 2012

Call2Recycle

I was pedaling hard up my last programmed hill at the gym the other morning when I saw a commercial for Call2Recycle, the only free rechargeable battery and cellphone collection program in North America. I was immediately and shamefully reminded of the four cell phones I have sitting in a drawer in my closet, just waiting for a program like this. Now, I'm obviously a little behind the times because Call2Recycle has been around for some time, but now that I'm aware, I'm heading to the nearest recycling location.

Since 1996 (ok, I'm way behind the times), Call2Recycle has diverted over 70 million pounds of rechargeable batteries from the solid waste stream and established a network of 30,000 public collection sites. And did I mention it's free? The program comes at no cost to you, other than the time it takes to walk, bike, or drive to the nearest collection site, and it looks like there are two dozen spread between downtown Salt Lake City and Murray alone.



Have you ever witnessed a sea of cell phones? Take a gander. Call2Recycle recognizes that Americans will throw over 140 million cell phones into the trash this year, and hopes to spread the word about its free (FREE!!) cell phone recycling at thousands of (FREE!!) collection sites. Head on over to Call2Recycle and locate your nearest collection site, play a quick game of Battery Tetris, and learn all about the importance of lessening your impact on the local landfill.

-Steph

No comments: